Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Group Class - Week 1

Do you get a little nervous when going to a new place?  Or maybe a place you've been, but you know there will be new people there?  Although it can be exciting, even for a social person, it can also make you feel a little unsure.

As I prepared myself to head out to teach the first set of group dog training classes of 2013 I realized I was a little nervous.  I've taught many a group class up to this point.  I've had a variety of dogs, owners and situations crop up I hadn't experienced before and survived, but it still gives me little butterflies to meet everyone on their first night in group class.

The students probably also feel a little nervous on their first night.  They've never been to the facility, met me or done any dog training in many cases.  They are also probably running home after work, grabbing a quick bite to eat and then running out the door with their dog.  Then they drive in traffic to the training center trying not to be late.  Did they remember everything they were to bring?  Ack!  It can certainly be a lot to just get there.

Those nerves are also something the dog is feeling.  Dogs are in tune with their owners behavior.  They sit around studying us 24-hrs a day/7-days a week.  Wherever you are going is somewhere new, exciting and maybe a little scary is what they can guess.  When the dog arrives they aren't totally sure what's going on.  "Are we in a giant vet waiting room?"  "Is this a new fancy shelter place you are going to leave me?"  "Do these people want to hurt me or their dogs want to bite me?"  The dogs don't necessarily have a clue as to what's going to happen next.  Sadly, they don't speak English so we cannot explain that they will get lots of treats for doing things we ask.  They'll just have to wait and see.

If you have the opportunity to attend a group class or teach one.  Remember how the human and canine student might feel about this new situation.  They are both a little unsure.  Be patient, give them plenty of space and keep things fun while learning/teaching something new and exciting.  After week one everyone is much more relaxed because they survived the initial class and hopefully had a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment