Friday, January 4, 2013

Are You a Hugger?

I would consider myself a "hugger".  My definition of a hugger is someone who enjoys giving and receiving hugs.  That also means that hugs between individuals who aren't necessarily close friends or family.  They could be an acquaintance or someone you've known virtually (over the phone or social networking).  A hugger is also someone who is known for greeting someone through a hug or when departing.

Are you a hugger?  Are your friends or family huggers?  I have a few close friends that are not huggers.  I've met people that were not huggers, but I didn't learn that until my arms were rapped around them.  Ooops!  Talk about an awkward moment.  That mistake made me really think about who I hugged.  Does the fact that these people aren't fans of hugging make them less human, unfriendly or bad?  No, it just means their person preferences are different than mine or other like huggers.

Does your dog like hugs?  How about petting?  Do they like to snuggle?  How do you know?  There are certain dogs who would prefer more space from others.  They really don't appreciate petting, hugging or snuggling.  That doesn't make them any less a dog.  I think the misconception is that a dog must enjoy physical contact because they are dogs.  That's just not the case.  Unlike my friends who aren't huggers or others I've met, dogs cannot verbally explain why they didn't appreciate the hug.  A dog might have to communicate via their mouth through a bite.  This is why it is important for us to ask the dog before continuing to pet, hug or snuggle them.

How do we ask them?  Dogs speak through body language.  If we learn what their body language is we can respond accordingly.  One of the best resources for us is a book on Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas.  These signals can express if the dog is not comfortable in a certain situation or by certain contact.  Once we understand what is not comfortable we can avoid that type of contact or in some cases teach the dog how to tolerate them.  Since some forms of touch are required for daily life such as putting on a collar or harness and regular vet visits.  

So are you a hugger?  Is your dog?  Again, like some people dogs would prefer get to know the individual before getting up close and personal.   Curly, my snuggler, enjoys human contact on his terms.  When in the company of those who he considers "friends" he's perfectly happy to accept contact, but not if you just met.  They may also not be into public affection (different environments).  In a group class setting Curly is "on the job" in his mind and would prefer I keep my hands in the treat bag rather than on him for loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment