Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Who's that in my bed?

"Do you let your dogs sleep with you?"  I get that question from time to time.  People are seeking an answer from me because they want to know if it's "okay" to allow your dog to sleep with you.  I answer the question honestly "No, my dogs don't sleep with me."  This isn't because I think they would be come "dominate" over me or cause a conflict.  

Honestly, I prefer they not sleep with my husband and I because I like my sleep!  We have a queen size bed for 2 people that doesn't allow much room for 4 dogs, or even a few of them.  From time to time we allow one to sleep with us, but it's not every night.


I think each person/family need to make the decision to allow dogs in the bed or not.  Some questions to ask:

   1. Would the dog(s) like to sleep in the bed?

   2. Is there really enough space for the dog(s) and people?

   3. Do the people that will potentially be sharing the bed want the dog(s) in the bed?

   4. If there are multiple dogs to consider, would each of these dogs be comfortable sharing the bed with each other?

   5. Will the dog(s) be okay with the people in the bed moving around while they sleep?

   6. Will the dog(s) be able to safely get on and off the bed on their own?

If you answered "No" to any of the above it might not be a good idea for that dog or dogs to join you in bed.  When kids are involved there are more things to consider since their safety is the most important.

Does your dog(s) sleep with you?  What helped you to come to that decision?  

No comments:

Post a Comment